Saturday, July 27, 2013

Lost and gained layers




Welcome to my second exhibition in Kyoto!

Lost and gained layers
July 17th - 29th, Gallery Ort Project

open: 12:00-19:00 / closed on Tue.

http://www.gallery-ort.info/
京都市左京区岡崎西天王町84 1F
(〒606-8341 M&M's apartment 1F-B, 84 Okazakinishitennnou-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto city)


This exhibition has been supported by the Arts Promotion Centre Finland.




About the exhibition


I've been living in Kyoto since autumn 2011. During my stay in Japan I've made a drawing series of 365 pieces, paintings and lots of photography. In my works made here one can see a journey and building of a diary of images in an unfamiliar environment.

By using the human figure, structures, landscapes and nature motifs I create a world where the human body is a space transforming with its every move and landscapes are like bodies lying on the earth’s crust reaching out to the space.


In my paintings I use a variety of mixed media techniques. By adding and removing layers using collage and de-collage, the paintings’ layers become visible. Painting is about both adding and removing, creation and destruction. The most central idea of my works is the simple realization that the material is inseparable from the subject thus turning the substance into what it’s representing.



Whereas in photography the form is given by light, painting makes visions visible by using shadows, the same way as the mind gives form for the darkness through imagination. One could say that mind is the light in the shadows, giving a face for the things hidden or suppressed.





No comments:

Post a Comment